You're Reading...
Earth Our Mother, Inspiration, More to Our Story

My Ash Tree Friends, Sistine and Silvine

There is a great old ash tree that sits to the right of my living room window so I can look out and see it whenever I want. Over time, I noticed how beautiful the tree was—the gracefulness and balance of its far-reaching branches, the strength of its trunk and last Autumn, its leaves were so golden it almost hurt my eyes to look at them. I intend to take some pictures this year.

Over the last months when I take Roxie, my terrier mix, out for her final pee of the night, I have been drawn to the tree, like we were old friends. (I’d been praying to the Heavens, ‘Please, may I make a real friend?’) I had heard that every plant and every tree, even every rock, have names personal to them, so one night as we walked by the ash tree I wondered what its name was. I heard in my mind, “Sistine.”

“Like the chapel?” I asked, but Sistine was all I heard. So I looked up Sistine on the internet and the root word means six. I kept looking and came across a frightening, unholy Pope in the 1400s (I think) whose name was the root of Sistine. I did not want to end my search on that note, so I kept at it and learned at last that the root of the word means chapel or a peaceful resting place. That, I thought, is exactly what this tree is. Its branches reach out in clusters to cover a huge area—ash trees are magnificent!

“Lean on me,” she says.

After I learned the tree’s name, at night I began to stop and lean against the tree and then to hug the tree. There is a furrow in its trunk that is hard to see at first, but it fits the human head and body perfectly. I snuggle in some nights and thank it for all it does for us and for our Earth Mother. I was embarrassed at first that someone might see me but then I heard/felt, “It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.” I have been hugging the tree with some measure of abandon now.

I researched ash trees and learned their ruling planet is the sun. When I asked my higher-self years ago what the name of my soul was, I learned that it means sun, so this seemed a connection. The ash tree represents both male and female energies and the energy of the Aquarian Age, to which, my astrological natal chart says, I am to awaken.

It is said that sleeping with ash leaves under our pillows will help us have intuitive dreams. I thought about putting one under my pillow and just as I was falling asleep that night I heard the word, Silvine.” “Silvine?” I wondered. I wrote it down and later realized it was the name of a younger ash tree planted around the corner from Sistine.]

Silvine’s right side

We had big wind here yesterday and when we went by Sistine, I saw that a twig with five leaves had broken off. “Thanks!” I said and when I got home I put it in a sandwich bag and placed it under my pillow. This is the neat part: In a dream this morning I was in a home with several people (nine or ten, maybe?) and I heard someone introduce a small, wiry, elvish-looking girl as Silvine.

“Silvine!” I said. “That’s the name of  my tree friend!” I stepped toward the elvish-looking girl and right then, Roxie woke me up by sticking her nose in my face. Yup, she had to go pee. I didn’t get to speak with the spirit of a tree-friend, but maybe I wasn’t ready. I hope to be ready some day.

About these ads

About Pam Bickell

My relationship with God/Christ/Universe/Divine Mother/Great Spirit is first in my life because Love and goodness flow from there. I am a 62-year-old woman, a sometimes-writer and artist. I post and host here about the spiritual journey, growing up and social justice issues.

Discussion

8 thoughts on “My Ash Tree Friends, Sistine and Silvine

1. I love your tree storey, Pam. Beautiful and right on! I may have told you this in past exchanges so forgive me but it fits into this experience of yours so I’ll repeat it.

I was on a silent retreat in northern California up in the mountains some 20 or more years ago. Every day we would go out for a walk on our own. One particular day I was on my walk and ended up sitting under this beautiful tree and leaning comfortably against it I felt its beautiful energy and almost as if it was talking to me. So I found myself asking it a mental question – “Who are you?” The answer came back – “We are the wind”. At first I thought I must have got it wrong until I realised you don’t hear the trees until the wind blows through them! Neat!. I’ve never forgotten.

Michael B.

Posted by Michael Brine | 04/14/2012, 3:03 pm
    • Hi, Michael. When I read, “We are the wind,” I thought of the wind as Spirit–and then Divine Mother popped into my head. What a beautiful experience!

Posted by Notes Along the Path | 04/14/2012, 4:37 pm
  2. What a lovely post Pam. You make that Ash tree appear to us as so alive and so full of love.

Posted by dreamingthruthetwilight | 04/15/2012, 6:13 am
    • Thank you, Nadira. Native traditions say we can have contact with all of nature, so I’m going to make some more friends! I hope all is well with you and yours.

Posted by Notes Along the Path | 04/15/2012, 7:43 am
  3. Wow, what a beautiful story!! I have hugged a tree or two in my life but I have never had one communicate with me. What a lovely gift. And what a nice a powerful sign that you are right you are meant to be right now!! Kim

Posted by kp | 04/15/2012, 6:14 am
    • You know, Kim, I think you’re right–this friendship is a sign that I’m right where I’m supposed to be. I’m collecting some of her seed pods and hope that wherever I end up, I will bring her alive again. :) Thank you for that.

Posted by Notes Along the Path | 04/15/2012, 7:46 am
  4. Oh, I love this post and her name is just perfect (remembering thos hours of Latin class and it seems worthwhile now). I have an ash in our backyard in Reno. I love that tree. There are some wonderful ones down here as well, but last year “my” pepper tree was gone when we arrived here…uprooted, it seems, by wind. :0( I grieved.

Posted by Victoria C. Slotto | 04/15/2012, 11:33 am
    • Oh, no! Completely gone? Wow, Mother Nature is definitely the boss of us. :) I understand the grief–meeting the soul or spirit of ‘my’ ash tree would make it hard to see her go–especially just to disappear. Thanks so much for sharing your tree story with me.

Posted by Notes Along the Path | 04/15/2012, 12:39 pm

Or click RSS to read in your Feed

A LIGHTER WAY OF BEING

A FREE E-BOOK

E-BOOK READING SOFTWARE

Creating an eBook Linked Table of Contents

Thoughtful People With Something To Say

Vonj productions

Inspiration received and put forth for the good of the people

Jacob Montgomery

Student, writer

Jesus’ Wedding

An Integrated Theory of the Twin Paths of the Spiritual Journey that lead to Inner Transformation by using Symbolism, Myth, and Parable.

Rx for the Soul

Daily offerings of words, images, and reflections that are medicine for the soul!

johncoyote

Poetry, story and real life.

Sparkonit

Science & Technology News

“What a weary time those years were -- to have the desire and the need to live but not the ability.” ― Charles Bukowski, Ham on Rye

A Spiritual Journey

My path through life exploring faith, nature, synchronicities and dreams

Storyshucker

A blog full of humorous and poignant observations.

Ecofantasy Press

Visions of a Once and Future Earth

Doug Does Life

A Creative Monkey On How To Find Your Path In Life.

Single motherhood in the South

my life, my love, my story

Vincent Egoro

Vincent Egoro - Shares Personal Improvement, Love, Motivational Messages and Quotes, to inspire you to live your greatest Life...Every day!

A Window Of Wisdom

Whispers from spirit heard with your heart

Angelart Star

The beautiful picture of angels makes you happy.

peacefulblessedstar

Shining My Light to Bless Others

tales for life

Some stories just have to be told: healing and wholeness in everyday life

Mind Fit Move

Training The Mind To Train The Body

My Raphael's Legacy

" A Journey into Greater Understandings "

Gotta Find a Home:

Conversations with Street People

Hear The Raven's Call

We were born knowing “WE CAN” … it's not within us, that idea of giving up… that is something we tell ourselves when we are afraid to succeed.

The Word Zoo

There are no contests in the Art of Peace. A true warrior is invincible because s/he contests with nothing. - M. Ueshiba

Madison Woods & Wild Ozark ™

Where Fantasy and the Wild Ozarks Meet

daydreamdaisies

Poetry, tea and sympathy

Nature and Life Notes

Learning...Growing...Sharing...

Tree of Life Learning Circle

Christian-Pagan Witchery and Eclectic Earth-based Christians and Pagans

A World of Words

ruminations from the spaces between soil and soul

Sending Joy

Change Your Mind and Healing Happens

Roam With Om

Official blog of The Divine Gypsy

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 393 other followers